Friday, January 18, 2013

An Exercise In Submission

                      Today is payday, which is usually a very busy day for me. It usually involves a trip to the bank, the gas station, the grocery store and whatever other errands that need done. The house also needs more attention than what it has gotten this week. Trust me no one will ever accuse me of having OCD when it comes to housework, but when things get to a certain point even I start to freak out a little.
                     Mr. D questioned whether or not I would be able to handle sitting upright in the vehicle or hobbling about the grocery store for that length of time, but I was bound and determined that with him driving and helping me I was going to accomplish my usual tasks. Unfortunately by the time I was showering later in the morning I realized that Mr. D was right - I wasn't going to be able to do everything I wanted and I was going to have to allow him and the kids to handle some of these things for me for a little while longer.
                       It's not that I love grocery shopping , but it's always been my responsibility and I' m in control of what my family eats, how much we spend etc. I don't like giving up this control, I want to hold onto something that is usually mine and decide for myself what I can and can't do. I want to get up and just do it myself, whatever it is.
                          It dawned on me in the shower that this injury is a type of exercise in submission. I have to learn to let some things go and lean on Mr. D. I have to trust that he'll take care of what needs done and that  it's okay if things aren't done my way.
                         I told Mr. D how I was feeling and apologized for being crabby. He assured me that I wasn't useless and that he would have something for me to do later on, perhaps another exercise in submission?
                         
                        

4 comments:

  1. The one or two times in our marriage I have had to send My Man to the store instead of me it's been SO hard!! Isn't it weird how we have these "small things" that we have always controlled and giving it up is so hard?? Or we have these preconceived ideas of "Good Wife/Good Woman" and when we don't or can't complete something or we see our fellas doing it we feel like we have failed?

    I hope you heal super soon and are able to take back your duties, but I also am grateful you have this time to exercise submission and trust. *HUG*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. things are slowly getting better, I'm just getting a little stir crazy and impatient with wanting to get back to normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you get to feeling better

    ReplyDelete