Monday, March 4, 2013

Someone I Admire

                               A friend that I admire. That's a tough one for me. Not because I don't admire any of my friends- I do, but each of them have different traits that I admire making it hard to choose just one of them.
                              For instance my friend Marie lost her husband a year and a half ago. Several months later she was involved in an auto accident that left her unable to even get out of bed for months. She has since lost her job, her health insurance and her home that had been in her husband's family for years. Her in laws are in a position financially to help her, but choose not to. Everyday is a struggle for her just to walk with the aid of a walker and she still deals with excruciating pain, both physical and emotional. But everyday she wakes up believing that today will be better and still hopes for and works toward the day that she will be able to walk on her own, go back to work and have a home of her own again. Her spirit in the face of adversity is truly inspiring.
                               Then there is our friend  Sam, he is like a brother to Mr. D and myself and an uncle to our children. He is one of the most generous people I know and there isn't anything he wouldn't do for any of us or someone else in need. Recently a mutual friend died and his widow did not have the money to pay for his funeral. Sam helped her pay for the funeral with his own money even though he is strapped himself and helped organize a fundraiser to help with expenses.
                                  My friend Jen-former roomate , maid of honor and one of my oldest and dearest friends is the one who makes everyone laugh. She is the one who puts a smile on your face when you feel down and the one who can make you laugh at your self when your having a pity party and feeling all woe is me. She is also the friend I am most likely to get in trouble with.
                                 Patience is a quality I am not blessed with, but my sister Shannon has it in spades. When I am ready to blow my top and yell at the top of my lungs, she is the calm voice of reason. She is the one who thinks before she speaks, is willing to wait and doesn't lose her temper. I guess that's what makes her such a good teacher and able to home school and care for four of her own children. 
                                  I am blessed to have such admirable people in my life. I aspire to attain each of these qualities  even though I don't always succeed, but my life is richer thanks to each of them.

11 comments:

  1. You are fortunate to have such good friends.

    FD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good friends can be hard to find so I consider myself lucky to have them.

      Delete
  2. Your friends all sound like wonderful people, that in itself says a lot about your character.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are indeed blessed with wonderful friends!
    hugs abby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am lucky to have some pretty amazing people in my life.

      Delete
  4. "You are known by the company you keep"

    It sounds like you have some pretty amazing friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope that my company is as good as theirs.

      Delete
  5. You are blessed with some amazing friends. You must be amazing yourself to have attracted such wonderful people to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say, thank you very much.

      Delete
  6. a great tribute to friends...you are lucky...and your friends are lucky to have you... :-)

    ReplyDelete